What are contrast materials and which are available?
They enhanceetwas verbessern the contrast and improve the pictures produced by x-rays, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance (MRI) imaging, and ultrasound. After body insertiondas Einführen (before the examination), they let certain body structures on the images appear differently dark/light as without contrast material.
Contrast material can be applied to patients in three ways:
- taken by mouth/orally – swallowedgeschluckt
- given rectallyreaktal– enemader Einlauf
- injected into a vein or artery.
There are several types of contrast materials:
- Iodine-based and barium-sulfate (powder which is mixed with water before administration, liquid, paste or tablet) compounds are used in x-ray and computed tomography (CT) imaging exams.
- Gadolinium is the key component of a contrast material,…